Caregivers and adults receiving in-home care are extremely satisfied with the support they receive from Adult Family Care (AFC), according to the program’s most recent annual consumer survey.
The survey is distributed annually to all AFC households. It asks caregivers and people receiving care though the program to rate effectiveness of AFC, along with helpfulness of staff and their ability to resolve issues. Survey highlights include:
- 100% of respondents receiving care through AFC indicated their caregiver has the skills and knowledge to meet their needs.
- 98% of AFC caregivers agreed or strongly agreed that AFC provides them with the tools, knowledge, and support they need to be a responsible caregiver
- 99% of total respondents expressed satisfaction with AFC’s ability to resolve any issues that arise.
- No complaints or lowest possible scores were received through the survey.
AFC has consistently earned high marks in the annual consumer survey, and Program Director Nina Cohen said that’s a reflection of the team’s dedication and high standards.
“Our nurses and social workers care deeply about helping the people we serve receive the best care at home,” said Cohen. “We conduct this survey each year to assess what is working and where we can improve, and it’s gratifying to see that our families are happy with the support they are receiving.”
AFC is a regional program of Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services, which serves adults who cannot live alone due to a medical diagnosis. The program helps adults receive the care they need at home by providing compensation, training, and ongoing support for friend or family caregivers.
Caregivers taking the survey also gave AFC high marks on the following:
- 98% agreed or strongly agreed that their social worker helps them manage caregiver issues such as stress and access resources.
- 98% agreed or strongly agreed that AFC staff takes the time to listen to their concerns.
- 100% said they are paid in a timely manner.
Asked for suggestions on how they would improve AFC, 100% of Caregiver respondents passed or said they were happy with the program.
“For me so far everything is perfect,” said one AFC caregiver. “My nurse and social worker are both very skilled at their work. When I ask questions, they have an answer.”
“Just keep hiring the caring and compassionate social workers and staff,” said another caregiver. “They are easy to talk to and make you feel comfortable.”
Adults receiving care through AFC also gave the program high marks for the following:
- 100% said they feel safe in their homes
- 100% said they are treated with dignity by their caregivers
- 98% agreed or strongly agree that their AFC nurse is knowledgeable about their diagnoses and medications.
Ongoing support from AFC staff was the most popular aspect of the program for 76% of respondents receiving care through AFC.
“They treat us kindly and encourage me to take the necessary care to prevent illness and accidents at home,” said one AFC participant.
Another thanked their nurse and social worker for their care and concerns.
“They are very compassionate people,” the participant wrote.
Adult Family Care is a mission-driven nonprofit that helps more than 220 eligible adults across the Greater Boston Area receive the best care at home, by providing training, compensation, and ongoing support for live-in caregivers. For more information call 617-440-0987, email AFC@eldercare.org or visit AdultFamilyCare.org.